Article Image Alt Text

Parish President David Hanagriff shakes hands with InterMoor Global President Martin Kobiela on Monday after the Port of Morgan City board made lease changes sought by the company.

The Daily Review/Bill Decker

Port makes lease changes InterMoor wants, hears report on Barry

The Port of Morgan City board made a major tenant happy Monday night with a change in its lease.
The board altered its lease with InterMoor, a Houston-based provider of mooring services for marine operations around the world, including offshore energy production.
The amended lease replaces a series of three 10-year options with a series of six five-year options.
InterMoor Global President Martin Kobiela said the company wants the flexibility provided by the shorter options.
InterMoor has maintained a strong presence in Morgan City despite a shift in energy industry focus from offshore to inland oil and gas production.
InterMoor’s Morgan City facility, which houses operations including fabrication, employs 100 and pays $42,000 a month in rent to the Harbor and Terminal District.
In May, the company announced it had won two contracts with a subsidiary of China National Offshore Oil Corp. to provide mooring services for the Liuhua 16-2 and Lingshui 17-2 floating production facilities in the South China Sea.
Also Monday, the board heard a report from Economic Development Manager Cindy Cutrera about operations during Tropical Storm Barry.
The highlights:
—On July 10, three days before the storm’s eye made landfall near Intracoastal City, daily conference calls began with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the National Weather Service about navigation and the tropical system, which had yet to reach tropical storm strength.
—On July 11, Gov. John Bel Edwards flew to Morgan City to meet with emergency managers the port’s Emergency Operations Center.
—On July 12, the National Weather Service predicted in the morning that the storm would hit Morgan City with 20-30 inches of rain. The National Weather Service later said St. Mary received only 4-8 inches, but storm winds led to power outages nearly parishwide for most of the weekend.
At noon, the center was activated with St. Mary Homeland Security Director David Naquin in Morgan City and Jimmy Broussard in Franklin. The Coast Guard and the Corps set up emergency groups in EOC conference rooms. The National Guard arrived.
Bunk rooms were set up for people from various agencies. Representatives from the Office of Emergency Preparedness, the St. Mary Levee District, the Coast Guard, the National Guard, the Corps, the St. Mary Sheriff’s Office and the port were able to maintain communications.
—At 1 p.m. July 13, within hours of the storm’s landfall, the Emergency Operations Center lost power, but generators started and maintained electricity. As the storm surge came in, the terminal dock was submerged. Port Director Raymond “Mac” Wade said the port had only been underwater once before, in 2011.
—About noon July 14, a helicopter picked up local Coast Guard commander Heather Mattern for an inspection of area waterways. In the afternoon, the threat had passed and the EOC was shut down.
—On July 15, the Corps surveyed Berwick Bay, the Intracoastal Waterway and the Atchafalaya.
—On July 16, the Coast Guard reopened the river to traffic with restrictions.


Franklin Banner-Tribune
P.O. Box 566, Franklin, LA 70538
Phone: 337-828-3706
Fax: 337-828-2874

Morgan City Daily Review
P.O. Box 948, Morgan City, LA 70381
Phone: 985-384-8370
Fax: 985-384-4255